Attending to Relationships
- Don’t let hurts and problems build up
- Use relationship skills to head off problems
- End hopeless relationships
- Resolve conflicts before they get overwhelming
Balancing Priorities vs. Demands
- If overwhelmed, reduce or put off low-priority demands.
- Ask others for help; say no when necessary
- If not enough to do, try to create some structure and responsibilities; offer to do things.
Balancing the Wants-To-Shoulds
- Look at what you do because you enjoy doing it and “want” to do it; and how much you do because it has to be done and you “should” do it. Try to keep the number of each in balance, even if you have to:
- Get your opinions taken seriously
- Get others to do things
- Say no to unwanted requests
Building Mastery and Self-Respect
- Interact in a way that makes you feel competent and effective, not helpless and overly dependent.
- Stand up for yourself, your beliefs and opinions; follow your own wise mind.